“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” - Maya Angelou

8/31/2011


I have been in Belgium for 2 weeks and four days. That blows my mind because it went by too fast. But I’m definitely making the most out of everything. Being an exchange student is the best decision I’ve ever made. 2 weeks in and I know my life has already changed and I know that I won’t be the same person I was 2 weeks and four days ago when I landed. Sure being an exchange student is hard, you feel like you’re a little baby again not being able to talk or express how you feel. It’s probably the most frustrating thing ever. But when you’re host mom and brother tell you that your French has gotten so much better since you arrived makes all of it worth it. One thing I wasn’t really ready for was the culture shock. I knew Belgian culture in itself was different but I never thought about the culture of your host family. It’s so different and it takes so much getting used to but even though you want to do something the way you’ve been doing for your whole life but you can’t because you need to adapt. I can truly say that I’m adapting, that I’m becoming a part of Belgium, and that my own culture now has Belgian characteristics.
I’m so excited for my exchange year and everything I’ll be able to do and see. I’m not going to let time pass me by and I’m going to take every opportunity that comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment